
"All those golden autumn days the sky was full of wings. Wings beating low over the blue water of Silver Lake, wings beating high in the blue air far above it. Wings of geese, of brant, of ducks and pelicans and cranes and heron and swans and gulls, bearing them all away to green fields in the South."
- Laura Ingalls Wilder
Source: On the Shores of Silver Lake
When Spencer and I bought our house, I bought a simple bird feeder to hang in a tree in our backyard. I hoped that it would bring plenty of little birds to liven up our home. Sadly, like many things I get excited about, I quickly lost interest. Thus, I filled it once or twice and promptly forgot it in the daily activities of my life.
The feeder has hung empty, birdless, and unappreciated for the past two years or so. Yesterday, when I was outside pulling the garbage and recycling cans in from the street, I saw it still hanging forlornly on a tree branch. Quickly I resolved to fill it and keep it filled throughout the remainder of the winter.
So, the bird feeder is now filled. When I look out my window or drive into the garage, instead of a dirty, empty feeder, I see a tree full of chirping, busy songbirds, waiting to eat and socialize in my backyard.
"All those golden autumn days the sky was full of wings. Wings beating low over the blue water of Silver Lake, wings beating high in the blue air far above it. Wings of geese, of brant, of ducks and pelicans and cranes and heron and swans and gulls, bearing them all away to green fields in the South."
- Laura Ingalls Wilder
Source: On the Shores of Silver Lake
No comments:
Post a Comment