Sunday, September 14, 2008

Trip to lake was really...something



When I heard that Jessica had not been to the Great Salt Lake, I knew that it would be a perfect weekend outing. We put on some flip flops, grabbed some water and chocolate-covered raisins, and drove out to the lake, stopping at the marina by Saltair.

We started tromping out to the lake, which seemed to be about 100 yards of salt-dirt away. The lake-bottom sand was really squishy, which was fine until I almost stepped on a bird carcass. Jessica agreed it was kind of gross, which was when we noticed that similar carcasses were evenly spread across the beach, about five feat apart. After we passed the bird-carcass graveyard, Jessica noticed a cool salt crystal puddle and so we took a picture (above). I told Jessica that it looked like the stuff Superman's fortress of solitude was made from. She said that his food must have been perfectly seasoned.

The shoreline seemed to be really far away and getting farther. I wondered if the lake was continuing to recede to thwart us. Then Jessica said something about Tantalus, which left me scratching my head until she enlightened my mythless mind.

Finally we arrived at the water and were surprised to find it warm with a gentle current. The brine flies were light and not bothersome. We watched the sailboats and tried to keep our flip-flops from being eaten by the quicksand in the shallow water.

On the way back to Saltair, I think Jessica summed up the trip very well: "You know," she said, "if you dumped a body out here, it would dry up real fast."

2 comments:

MJ said...

I just want to know what Jessica thought of the "Lake Stink" or is that "Lake Stank".

Oh, and I wiki'd Tantalus and now my mythless mind is enlightened too.

Funny...I feel slightly smarter after reading your blog. :)

Lori said...

I am more awesome than you.
This is Randal BTW.