Friends, blogging is not on my list of things to do today, but I have to relieve myself of a memory - an experience, really - and I'm writing in the hopes that doing so will allow me to exorcize a demon, of a sort.
I've recently experienced a physical assault. It was unexpected, vicious, visually disturbing, and smelly. The perpetrator? My innocent little son.
Now that he's five months old and loving the rice cereal, we decided to start him on carrots earlier this week. Full of excitement and anticipation, I steamed and pureed his veggies on Monday and we served them to him later that same day. Of course, the nature of his diapers changed, but I honestly didn't think it looked all that bad. I thought, "Oh, I can totally handle this. No big deal."
Apparently, it takes a few days of carrots to alter the composition of the diaper. When Spencer changed Will's diaper this morning after waking him, he said that it was not good, but I didn't really put much stock in his opinion. They say that hindsight's 20/20, right?
I just finished changing Will's cloth diaper. Actually, when I opened it, my first impulse was to cover my eyes with my right hand, my nose with my left, and to run very, very far away. I wanted to throw the whole cloth diaper away rather than deal with the horror inside. Instead, I quickly pushed it shut again, and took a deep breath, hoping that I had imagined what I had just seen. To my somewhat amused disappointment, I had not imagined even an iota of what lay inside. Horrible, friends. Horrible.
I feel as though I've now ascended to another level of parenthood. Hmm...perhaps "descended" would be more appropriate. In any case, I still love my little boy. Changing his diapers used to be fun, a together time, and now it's more of a gruesome assault. Ewwww.
6 comments:
I am right there with you. While the color produced by the carrots is interesting the smell and everything else is awful. It doesn't help that in between changes Finn farts while being nursed. Normally it's not that bad but when you're forced to sit with your face less than a foot from his behind it's pretty bad. It's a good thing they're so darned cute. (I wonder how many times I've thought this since he was born.)
My dear sweet Jessica.... when you stand there and allow him to poop IN YOUR HAND, then you'll know real horror.
yeah... wish I were kidding...
Now that Eli is in the play-do poop stage it's not so bad. I just plop it in the toilet. But when he was still in the slightly runny, smelly poop stage, I occasionally used disposable liners in my diapers. It made the clean-up much simpler because I could just dump it in the toilet and clean off the little bit that missed the liner. I have some extras so I'll bring some up tomorrow.
I wish I could tell you that it gets better, but I can't. We are currently in a horrifyingly smelly and bright green stage. ;) Luckily, potty training isn't too far off.
You ladies who do cloth diapers. My hat is off to you. :)
Just wait until he starts eating meat.You will seriously consider becoming a vegetarian yourself, just so he won't even be near the stuff.
Post a Comment