Tuesday, June 1, 2010

For Love of a Garden...

"...to sit in the shade on a fine day, and look upon verdure, is the most perfect refreshment."

- Fanny Price, Mansfield Park

As she usually does, Jane Austen most capably captures my sentiments about God's green earth. Spencer and I are in the process of eradicating the many weeds we have allowed to germinate over the past year. I can blame last summer's overlooking on my pregnancy, but alas - that is over, and the weeds continue to grow.

So, I have put my hand to the soil and pulled many a spikey, angry-looking plant. We have made progress. I expect we'll have things under control in the next week or two. In the meantime, my heart swells with pride as I look at the many plants I've been able to cultivate and nurture in our yard. Here's a glance at a few in all their glory.


a highly fragrant Idaho Locust Tree




lovely twining wisteria



American Smokebush growing through a large shrub rose



Red Dragon Japanese Maple


Mountain Aspen



Columbine (I adore these!)



My beloved peonies


Close-ups of the Idaho Locust Tree

No comments: