Wednesday, February 1, 2012

The Musical Repertoire of a Toddler

Will loves songs and dancing. Every time we get into the car to go somewhere he asks for two things - first, "snaaaaaacccckkkkkkssssss....." and second, "songs...?" It always makes me laugh. Anyway, some of his favorite requests have been the perennial toddler ditties - "Ring Around the Rosie," "I Love the Mountains," "Jingle Bells," "Santa Claus Is Comin' to Town," "Pokey Bear," and "Horsie, Horsie."

So, today, after leaving a mommy/baby play group, I turned on the radio and Adele's "Someone Like You" was playing. Now this is a song that I like. Since its debut, I've probably listened to it a few hundred times. By "listen," however, I mean "sing-along-with-at-full-voice." And because Will is usually with me whenever there's music, he's probably heard it a few hundred times, too. Hmm. At this moment, I'm reminded of why I love the Beatles, Bob Dylan, the Rolling Stones, the Moody Blues, and Joan Baez. Ah, karma.

Anyway, what I heard sounded something like this:

Adele and Will in parenthesis -
Nevermind - I'll find someone like you. (...someone wike ooooooo...)
I wish nothing but the best for you. (...best fo' ooooooooo...)
Don't forget me - I beg, (... MEEEEEEE beeeehhhhggggh...)
I remember you said (...I wemembeh ooooooo say...)
Sometimes it lasts in love (...wasts...and wuv...)
And sometimes it hurts instead. (...huwts instead...)

And then he finished the verse with a self-congratulatory "Oh, YES!!!"

3 comments:

Lee said...

awesome in SO many ways!

MJ said...

I love it! I think I'm going to need to hear his rendition in person.

Susanna said...

Hey Jess,

Keep posting. Your verbal snapshots are always fun.