Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Where Have I Been Lately?!!

Summertime. Relaxation, no schedule, lazy days poolside, cool drink in hand, warm sun overhead, and the distant buzzing of bees somewhere in the distance. To go old school on you...NOT!!! The past few months have felt as busy as just about any other time of the year (working or not). We've been on vacation, had dinner parties, gone swimming at the neighbors', had playdates, attended neighborhood festivals, gone to museums and aquariums, had adult dates, gardened, harvested, frozen and canned food, taught piano lessons - the list goes on and on. Just about every week is filled with things to do. So, as usual, I'm behind on the blogging thing.

I don't have time for much, but just a couple of fun snippets of what's been going on around here. First, I saw a movie. I do watch movies, and I like quite a few of the ones that I see. Mostly because Spencer insists on reading the Roger Ebert review prior to viewing the film, so we typically only see things Mr. Ebert recommends. However, today I went out on a limb (because today I had time to watch an 88-minute movie) and watched something I came across on Netflix's instant selections. It's called Cairo Time, and it stars Patricia Clarkson and Alexander Siddig. Now, I haven't seen much of Clarkson's work, but I was impressed by the restraint and luminescence she demonstrated in her role. Some of you, nerds you may be, might recognize the name Alexander Siddig from one of the Star Trek universe's less-lauded installations - Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. He played Dr. Julian Bashir for the duration of the series's seven seasons. I found him likeable then, but really enjoyed his thoughtful performance in this film. Let's call the movie an East-meets-West-star-crossed-lovers-without-hanky-panky-in-a-National-Geographic-photo-shoot kinda story. Plus, if you have any imagination at all and feel even the slightest pull towards Egypt, then you will at least enjoy the scenery. Go. Right Now. Netflix or somewhere else that has lesser-known films. Go watch and report.

Second, I thought I'd just tell you that Will has a new favorite song. We were in the car, and I had my iPod on, just on shuffle, playing a game of chance as to whether or not we would like the next song Apple threw our way. To Will's delighted ears came the muted strains of a guitar twang, a honky-tonk piano, and Tammy Wynette in all her nasal, country glory. Indeed, "Stand By Your Man" is now a regular request. A song hasn't been this popular with Will since Adele's "Someone Like You" earlier this year. He kinds of vocalizes the verses, but comes out loud and proud on the chorus. That said, he still seems to want me to sing along at the top of my voice, but he joins me wherever he can. That's my boy!

 

No comments: