Monday, November 22, 2010

Where Does the Time Go?

I just took a gander at my blog and realized that I'm more than six weeks behind. And it's sad because it's been a very full month and a half! We've had lots of fun over the past while, but Halloween was particularly enjoyable. Since we were in the middle of the World Series, we dressed Will up (and this is what I love about Halloween as a parent - the pressure is off me to get on a costume since he's wearing an adorable one) as...you guessed it...a baseball player! Actually, it was really cute. Let me post a video here:



On the heels of Halloween came Will's big first birthday. It's true, you know. The first birthday is actually a covert celebration of the parents' ability to keep the child alive for twelve whole months. We did it, Spence! Anyway, it was fun. We kept it small - grandparents, a few presents (embarassingly, the one from us didn't arrive until after the birthday because Mommy can't read ordering instructions accurately), yummy dinner, and a decadent chocolate fudge cake. Of course, Will was allowed a small piece of cake, which he took to like the pointy piece of velcro to the long-lost fuzzy piece of velcro. Kind of a "where have YOU been my whole life?!!?" moment.









By the way, his favorite present of the night was the piece of blue yarn that tied one of his presents closed. That he could have played with for hours if I had wanted him to shred it into tiny threads with his little teeth.

Then, an unexpectedly destructive wind/snowstorm blew into town this past weekend. We were the lucky recipients of both downed powerlines and 6-8 inches of snow! So, making the best of it, we put the baby down in the dark Saturday night after about five hours of electricity-less living, built a nice, crackling fire in the fireplace, lit all the candles we could find, put some snuggly blankets and pillows on the living room floor and had a take-out dinner and played cards until we were too tired to stay up anymore. It was a great surprise together time for the two of us and I have to say, I don't think I'll be sorry if it happens again. Sunday morning found us looking like this:



as we looked into a world that looked like this:







Glorious doesn't begin to describe the morning sun on a snow-covered backyard.

Anyway, life is good. We're so enjoying the holidays with a little one for whom everything is still so new.

4 comments:

Dagny said...

It sure looks like that chocolate was thoroughly enjoyed. I bet the boys'll love Thanksgiving!

I can't believe you got that much snow. We only got about 2" and it was melted away in no time.

Becca said...

Such a cute little boy! We can't wait to see you all in just three days!

Becky said...

Cool snowstorm! Cute Will! Happy Birthday, little guy! I have kept looking for a bday blog update...finally! Enjoy time with your fam this weekend!

Janae said...

Aw! I miss when my babies loved the wrapping stuff their presents came in! I love those sweet times with the hubs, too.
Love you! Have a great Thanksgiving, Jess!