Monday, April 18, 2011

Bibliophilia

I have always loved books. Though I myself am not a particularly talented writer, I am very good at appreciating and ingesting the literary gifts of others in just about any genre. Before I was married (and had a husband who would groan, "Je..ss..i..caaaa......it's late and I NEED TO GO TO SLEEP!!!" every five seconds), I would often stay up into the wee hours of the morning, reading. Sometimes I'd even wake up in the middle of the night, turn on the beside lamp, and read for a couple of hours. After chores were over on a Saturday morning, I'd spend the entire day stretched out on the couch - yep, reading.

Anyway, I do love books. My parents did a good job of making books a special present at every gift-giving holiday or birthday - in fact, they still give books regularly. And my mom still gives me recommendations of things she's read and enjoyed. I also get suggestions from my book group - however, those are often not quite as satisfying.

Recently I've read several things - some worthy of passing on to others, and some seriously sub-standard. Here's a breakdown of a few that I've perused in the last few months:

The Good

Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger - it was compelling and thought-provoking and turned my brain upside down for a while. Niffeneger writes of the relationship between twins, mistrust, deception, the ghostly world, and even body-snatching. It was one of the most upsetting (in a good way, if possible) and astonishingly well-written stories I've ever read. It has stayed in my mind ever since I finished it and I'm pretty sure I'm never going to forget it.

The House at Riverton, The Forgotten Garden, and The Distant Hours by Kate Morton - yes, these are three different novels, and no, there is no real relationship other than that of setting and tone, perhaps. Morton writes gothic romantic mysteries generally set in England between the Victorian era and the World Wars. Her novels are much more refined and tragic, but lovely. Her work reinforces my conviction that I was born fifty years too late.

The Charles Lennox novels by Charles Finch - I love a good Victorian/Edwardian murder mystery helmed by a suave yet reluctant English gentleman. These are kinda fun.

Tess of the D'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy - tragedy, missed opportunities, betrayal, double standards and fleeting elation abound in this novel. Hardy, as always, sometimes wallows in his prose, but the heroine stands for herself. Tess is strong, pure-hearted, and ultimately, because of her environment, used and abandoned. However, if you like a story that makes you feel something, Tess of the D'Urbervilles is an excellent choice.

The Disappointing

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins - you know, there was (and is) so much hype about these books that I fear my expectations were unreasonably high. Honestly, I thought the writing was stilted and rough, and I thought that the characters were unrealistic. Not only that, but I felt that the author went a little hog-wild with the gore and violence toward the end of the series. I don't know - I guess I don't equate blood and pain in young adult fiction with credibility.

The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare - this series was recommended by a friend in my book club. All I can say is that the same critique I gave The Hunger Games series applies here. Oh, but I can add that the creepy brother/sister-or-not-so-they-can-be-in-love thing was distasteful to me. I didn't like it in Star Wars either.

A Poison Study, A Magic Study, and A Fire Study by Maria V. Snyder - see the previous two entries without the comment about the weird brother/sister love relationship. Argh. Why do people buy these books?!!! It encourages these writers to keep producing them! Stop the mediocre madness!!!

Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen - I get tired of quirky, mystical, semi-Wiccan Southern women books and movies. It's cliched (sorry for the lack of accent mark) and done to death. I just wish that different aspects of southern women could be explored.

So, I'm currently in the market for a new genre, author, series, etc. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Oh, but let me clarify - I love young adult literature. As long as it's good.

1 comment:

Becca said...

I just finished The Mortal Instruments, and I felt the same way. Blah. I get tired of forbidden teenage yearnings.